Question : HELP! Can't access webpage from behind router. Need help with cisco ios (maybe).

Hi,

I've got a webserver set up behind a cisco 877 router. Everything works fine in that I can access the webpages from external networks (i.e. the internet). I can't however access the webpages from inside my network. Here's a little example to make things clearer:

[Webserver 10.5.5.20] ------------------ [Router 150.x.x.82] --------------- [Internet]
[Home Computer 10.5.6.x] --------/

So say someone tries to connect to my webpage foo.bar.com from the internet, the router will translate that domain's external IP address of 150.x.x.82 to 10.5.5.20 and they will be able to see the webpage.

But, say I want to access that webpage from my home computer, the domain will still resolve to 150.x.x.82, and my router will get confused. The reasons why are beyond me.

So far I have fixed the problem by having an internal DNS server which forwards all requests but the ones specific to my domain, *.bar.com. All requests to that domain will instead resolve to the internal webserver address of 10.5.5.20. This solution is however no longer feasible -- I no longer want to host my own DNS server.

A MORE IDEAL SOLUTION would be to have all packets destined for 150.x.x.82, but originating from my internal network (or address range 10.5.6.x), to be translated to 10.5.5.20. This would enable my home computers to access my webpage without disrupting access from the internet.

Now for the money question:

Is it possible with my cisco 877 (IOS 12.4) to use nat or routing or whatever, to have it translate requests for 150.x.x.82, from both the internet AND my internal IP address range, to 10.5.5.20??? i.e.

[internet] -------> 150.x.x.82 -----> [ router 150.x.x.82 ] ----> 10.5.5.20 ------> [Webserver 10.5.5.20]
                                                                             \<-------- 150.x.x.82 <-------[Home Computer 10.5.6.x]

And/or would this even work?

If you read this far, thank you very very much. I'd give you points just for that if I could....

Answer : HELP! Can't access webpage from behind router. Need help with cisco ios (maybe).

see "Inside to Inside NAT - NAT Virtual Interface Support" at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5413/prod_release_note09186a0080457818.html . Probably works for the 877 as well.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us