Question : Traffic Policing / Traffic Shaping On Catalyst 4506

I dont know whether to use Qos , Traffic shaping / Traffic policing.  what i'm trying to do is limit traffic for a voice vlan over a WAN link to 5MB.  I have two catalyst switches connected together via 100MB LAN extension. the LAN extended is terminated via RJ45 directly in to the switches (1 4507 and the other 4506).  in each site i have avaya media gateway G650 connected directlty in to the 4500's in their own vlan's. see below. i am routing traffic between the two sites.  now what i need to do limit traffic for both the vlan's (Avaya) to 5MB on the 100MB LAN extension. i believe what i need to do it setup something like Traffic policing to assign fixed bandwidth on the interfaces on both 4500's interfaces connected to the LAN extension but dont know were to start. Please help me urgently.

Avaya G650   (vLAN 15 - 10.15.0.1                             Avaya G650 (vLAN 161 - 192.168.161.1
-                                                                                                      -
-                                                                                                      -
4507-------------------------------------------------------------------------4506  
10.14.0.1                                      100mb lan extension circuit       10.14.0.2

Answer : Traffic Policing / Traffic Shaping On Catalyst 4506

Rate limiting VoIP doesn't mean you're limiting your other traffic to the remaining bandwidth (95Mbps).

Rate limiting the remaining traffic to 95Mbps would leave room in the pipe, but instantaneous queueing delays could wreak havoc with your VoIP traffic.

I'm not real familiar with the 4500 series, but know that often Cisco has different QoS capabilities in each linecard.  You might want to post your software and hardware versions in the hopes that someone here knows the relevant details for YOUR hardware.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us