Question : Remove Certificate Services

We currently have certificate services installed on one of our domain controllers (Windows 2003 Functional Domain) We are only using certificate services to issue an internal SSL key on one of our internal web servers.  We recently renamed our Domain and as you would expect, the certificate is now broken.  I am wondering if we can just uninstall Certificate Services, re-install certificate services on a different member server and re-issue the certificate to the internal web server.  Everything I have found online talks about moving certificate services to a different computer, not uninstalling it.  I looked through all the certificates that have been issued and we only have one that is currently not expired and that is the one on our internal web server.  

We are also getting the following errors on our Domain Controllers

Source AutoEnrollment
Event ID 13

Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed to enroll for one Domain Controller certificate (0x80070005).  Access is denied.

So I am a little nervous about removing Certificate Services, because I am not sure how this will affect our Domain Controllers.

Answer : Remove Certificate Services

The event id 13 is happening because you need to put the domain controllers group for your new domain into the CERTSRV_DCOM_ACCESS group - this may be a domain group if your CA was on a DC, otherwise it would be a local group on the CA box.

Since the name of the CA changed due to the rename, the only real way around this is to reinstall with a new certificate.  To best avoid issues, it would be best to completely remove the old CA from AD prior to reinstalling it.

I would also recommend taking a full backup including system state and archiving that for a bit, just in case you need to restore the old one.  Or just take the box offline and physically archive it.

How to decom a CA server properly from AD:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889250
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us