Question : Network Card has problem when "auto" is set in "Speed & Duplex"

I have a 64-bit Dell Server running Windows Server 2003. Dual 1gb NICs. One is disabled while I troubleshoot this problem. Which is: When Network Adapter (Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II) is set to 100Mbps, everything works fine on the network but my backups fail. My backups are done on another server using Symantec Backup Exec Version 11d. BackupExec uses a 64-bit "remote Agent" which can retrieve files from this adjacent 64-bit server. The "media server" that is the server that BU Exec is running on is running Windows Server 2000. The NIC on the Media Server (3com 3C996B GB NIC) is set to "Auto" under "Speed & Duplex" and is running at 1Gbps. When I set the NIC on the 64-bit server to "Auto", the backups run but the network has slowdowns and errors. For example, I open a simple Word document on the 64-bit server change a little bit and "save"...Word then freezes....crashes...logs error. Every time. The switch between the two servers is a newer one, HP gigabyte-capable.

Answer : Network Card has problem when "auto" is set in "Speed & Duplex"

the speed duplex doesn't need to be the same on each of the servers, but they DO need to be the same on the server and the switch's port that the server is plugged into.  Having a server with 100full and the switch's port at auto WILL generate errors for example.  They both need to be the same,, IE both at auto or both at 100/Full for example.

basically you need to log into your switch and check the speed duplex settings on the ports that these servers are plugged into.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us