Question : RIS...issue automating the .sif file from a riprep image

Hi, everyone-

I have just started using RIS, and have successfully been able to push riprep images from the RIS server.  I have also automated the .sif file associated with my riprep image to contain the product key, successfully eliminating the mini-setup key entry process on first startup.

However, I would like to further automate this .sif file to include joining this machine to my domain.  I was under the impression that I only needed to enter something like the following into the existing .sif file that is being used:

[Identification]
JoinDomain = domain_name
CreateComputerAccountInDomain = Yes
DoOldStyleDomainJoin = Yes
DomainAdmin = "Administrator"
DomainAdminPassword = "adminpassword"

Still, I have done this and the machine is not joined to the domain on first login.  Is this something that I am able to do with the .sif answer file associated with a riprep image, or am I mistaken?

Thanks for your help...hoping someone has done this before.

Matt

Answer : RIS...issue automating the .sif file from a riprep image

Nope, it's not that easy. The password is not properly transfered to the login for some reason that I cannot remember. Second, you don't want the password to show up anywhere, so you really don't want to put it here. Now, I have made changes to \OSChooser\English\custom.osc so that I can enter the domain admin, password, and even the OU that I want the computer to connect to. So the file looks like this:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Client Installation Wizard                                     Custom Setup
 [ENTER] continue     [ESC] go back     [F1] help     [F3] restart computer

Type a unique computer name and specify a location within the directory service in which to create the computer account.

Domain Administrator:
Administrator Password:

Computer name:

Directory service path:

Examples:

Computer name:              Administration01
Directory service path(OU):     mydomain.com/computers

If you leave these fields blank, the default settings selected by the network administrator will be applied.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now change the following in the .sif file:

JoinDomain = %MACHINEDOMAIN%
MachineObjectOU = "%MACHINEOU%"
DomainAdmin=%DOMAINADMIN%
DomainAdminPassword=%DADMINPWD%

You will also have to allow custom install as on of the selections on the installation page. This will work, but the only problem is that someone with this information has to be loading the computer.

If you find any other way of doing it, please let me know. I really, really did a lot of looking around and found no other solution.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us