Question : Windows Routing Problem

I have two networks which I need to connect via Windows 2000 Server Routing.  Each network was originally stand alone, with their own gateway/firewall, domains, and DNS.  I now need both networks to be able to talk to each other and I am having a slight problem with a part of it, and I am hoping that someone can fill me in on what I am missing.  

I have two networks:

Network A: 169.254.244.0
Network B: 192.168.0.0

I have one Windows 2000 Box with 2 network cards:
Network A: 169.254.244.251
Network B:  192.168.0.12

I changed the registry to allow ip routing, did the configure and enable Routing and Remote Access Part.  I am now in the following situation.  Network A seems to work perfectly.  I can ping machines on Network B, as well as access the internet.  On network B, I am able to successfully ping computers on Network A, however none of the computers can access the internet.  DNS seems to be working fine, as I can resolve Internet domain names, however I think I am missing something on the gateway part.  Any help would be appreciated.  

-NINE

Answer : Windows Routing Problem

hi,

yes,
definitely delete the route:     0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0    192.168.0.254    192.168.0.12

Further,

The problem lies in your internet router, not your windows router.
what's happening is that your internet router has only ONE internal route, which is on your 169.254.244 network.

If you can configure your internet router and add a static route to it, which states that the 192.168.0 network should be routed thru the LAN port on that router.

If you only delete the 0.0.0.0 route stated above, and don't include a static route on your internet router (the one at 169.254.244.222), all ip traffic originating from the 169.254.244 network will never be directed by your internet router back to your lan. That's where your entire problem lies.
Trust me, I've done this exact scenario, and it took a couple of CCNP's a few hours to understand what I did to make it work.

please let me know what happens.
haresh
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us