Question : Remove/Delete (MSHOME) Workgoup(s) and prevent it/them from returning

My brother recently bought a new Laptop, and brought it with him to my home. The workgroup he was using, was the standard MSHOME :(. Very annoying, because my pc's detected that workgroup, and now all 3 of them show it when i go to "my network places".

I know there is a way to get rid of it, but i can't find it anymore. Further more, is there a way to prevent windows of adding or detecting other workgroups/networks other than the ones i told it about???

I'm giving high points for this, not because it's a difficult question, but it ranks very high on the "annoying top 10".

Answer : Remove/Delete (MSHOME) Workgoup(s) and prevent it/them from returning

When a user starts or properly shuts down a computer running Windows XP Professional on the network, it announces that event to the master browse server for its workgroup. The master browse server either adds or removes that computer from the list of available computers in the workgroup. Next, the master browse server notifies backup browse servers that a change to the browse list is available. The backup browse servers then request the new information to update their local browse lists. New computers on the network do not show up in a users' request for a browse list until the backup browse server receives an updated browse list, which can take up to 15 minutes.

If a user turns off the computer without properly shutting it down, the computer does not notify the master browse server. In such cases, the computer name continues to appear in the browse list until the name entry times out, which can take up to an hour.

The below article might be what you are looking for.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prcf_omn_mzox.asp

Hope this helps.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us