Question : Workstation service fails to start

Question:
Recently went to the network neighborhood of a client on a Windows 2000 peer to peer network.  Although connected to the network, it reported "network not started".  Followed the services dependiencies to the workstation service.  The error in the event log is that it is not starting due to an error that "RDR drivers not found".  What might be causing this sporadic error?

Specific sequence of events:
Network browser (and thus workstation) had been working, as I accessed a shared drive from the problemattic computer.  I was transferring backup images to a remote computer when the local user powered down their computer (despite my warning).  Restarted their computer and encountered a network not found issue in the network neighborhood.  Checked services and noted that workstation for the browser was not starting.  Checked event log and workstation error due to RDR driver.  Workstation error precedes user interrupting file transfer.  Checked previous questions and noted similar question was asked in exchange services but answer cut short due to isues with the posting individual.  Considered reinstall of NIC and redoing service packs.But checked back on client from this remote computer and was able to access shares.  Going to review event log for periodicity / related cause.   Will post event log if helpful.  

Thanks in advance!

Answer : Workstation service fails to start

RDR error is about kernel drivers. Usualy there are other related errors around, which can point to the rdr driver that failed. For an atempt of quick repair reinstall SP4 and all packages after sp4.

You can try, before that, to run from a command prompt

SFC /runnow

The utility will try to restore the damaged files.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us