Question : Subnet Q? - Can one subnet use a gateway that is on the next subnet?

We are moving our 2 web servers inhouse and getting a complete class C subnet on our T1, we want to seperate our LAN traffic from our webservers by doing a 128 subnet and 2 firewalls behind our T1 router.

Like so:

T1 Router x.x.x.1/24

SonicWall TZ170 (LAN): x.x.x.2/25 GW= x.x.x.1

SonicWall Soho (WEB):  x.x.x.129/25 GW= x.x.x.1

Will the "WEB" firewall be able to connect to the gateway that is in the other subnet?

I believe the TZ170 will allow us to do everything on one box, but to further elevate security others want to use 2 seperate firewalls.

Thanks -John

Answer : Subnet Q? - Can one subnet use a gateway that is on the next subnet?

Hi,

>> can a default gateway be on a different subnet?

as I already stated in my first response, no:

the default gateway must ALWAYS be the same subnet as one (and only one) of the interface address(es).

a default gateway is essentially a static route anyway - I don't understand why you ask this question?

if the 1720 has at least 2 ethernet ports as well as the T1 port, then the router will be able to do the job of the two firewalls without a problem.

then you can simply set it up in the way suggested in my first comment.  The cisco firewall functions may not be as intuitive to use as the firewall appliances, but it is at least as good as any firewall device on the market performance-wise.

Cheers.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us