Question : PPTP setup

is there anyone can give me the complete steps how to establish a PPTP connections thru internet ?
Well, basically I have got some picture about PPTP setup in NT server, but I have no idea about the client side setup (particularly if I'm using win95/win98).
thanks.

Answer : PPTP setup

delta_sw,
OK, here are the steps, exactly as I have mine set up.

On the Server, make sure you have RAS and at least SP3 installed.  (Also, be sure to reinstall the service pack BEFORE ALLOWING THE SERVER TO REBOOT!!!) Then go into the Network Protocols tab and add PPTP.  Once it is added, choose the number of ports you want enabled. (I'm not sure where it asks you to reboot during the process, but you'll have to...remember to reapply the Service Pack before you do....).  After the protocol is installed, go into the Services tab under Network properties.  Choose add, and then choose the VPN adapter(s).  Configure them with your network settings.  That's about it for the server side.

Client Side: (95/98)
Go into Network Properties.  You will have to add two network adapters: the Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter, and a second Dial-Up Adapter (VPN Support). {The second adapter may only be for Win 95, I don't remember...I can check a 98 config tonight}.  If you don't have these options, be sure to get the latest version of DUN from Microsoft.  Once you have both adapters installed, along with the correct networking protocols, Go into the Dial Up networking folder and create a new connection.  Name the connection and pick the "Microsoft VPN adapter" in the select a device dialog box. Hit the Next button, and on the next screen, enter the server's IP addressand hit next.  That finishes the connection setup.  Once that's done, right click on your new connection, and choose Properties.  Select the Server Types tab, and make sure that all of the information is correct, like TCP/IP Settings.  That's really about it...Here's a link to Microsoft's RAS support:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/ntserver/serviceware/nts40/76EX51LZH.ASP

Good luck,
TheBrain
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us