Question : ADSL Bandwidth Throttling Solutions

Hello,

We are having a 2mbps wire only ADSL broadband connection installed shortly. We are also purchasing the ADSL router ourselves shortly. We have found a reasonable supplier for these products.

What is the best way to throttle the ADSL internet download bandwidth over a small internal LAN? More precisely, I want to allow certain PCs on our network to have a bigger percentage of available bandwidth than others. I am worried that some people will 'hog' the bandwidth so to speak.

Our internal network is a Windows 2000 SBS server, with around 10 PCs running Windows XP.

How can I achieve this? Any ideas are welcome,

Thanks in advance.

Answer : ADSL Bandwidth Throttling Solutions

You could use a USB or Internal ADSL modem or an external router - really depends on which way you want to go. Personally I would use an external router because it will not impact performance on your server as much as using an internal or USB adapter.

For security you should really  have an external router on a different network segment to your internal network (ie 2 network cards in the server) because this will prevent nasties coming in from outside and also stop your users from bypassing ISA server). I believe I remember that the ISA wizard expects 2 network adapters if you specify broadband anyway.

Your internal network address really must be one of the private ones (ie 192.168.x.x) to minimise unauthorised access and you could choose 2 different network addresses to run on the one network segment rather than add another adapter to the server -- ie one network for server & router only and 1 network for server and workstations).
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us