Question : Migrating from Netware 5 to MS Windows 2K3

My current network: Netware 5.0 (file and printer sharing), Windows NT4 (Exchange 5.5 and DNS) - my network is a little more complex than this so I'm only listing what is relevant to this discussion.  Everything works perfectly but all the equipment is seriously antiquated and slow. I have no hope of getting NT4 to work on the latest hardware so.... this is driving my decision.... NT4 has to go.

Two possible scenarios: Go all Novell, including migrating from Exchange 5.5 to Groupwise OR Go all MS and migrate from Netware 5.0 to MS Win 2K3. Since I'm not willing to stake my career on Groupwise being compatible with some our apps that are tightly integrated into Exchange and Outlook... migrating entirely to MS seems the more appropriate way to go.... sooooo  

I am toying with the idea of migrating from Netware to MS Windows 2K3 and AD.

Please tell me if there is a comprehensive "across the wire" migration tool that will copy the contents of a Netware 5 server plus all the NDS security on to a Win 2K3 server.

In addition, has anyone publish training material and/or books that are in a fashion like a Rosetta stone to help speed the learning curve for one who is very adept with Netware, Unix, and Windows NT4? However, I'm only really interested in learning material that compares to Netware.

My hesitation about this migration is that I won't be able to perform my duties as quickly as I can in Netware using Console One from my desktop. Console One is a desktop Netware tool that allows me to very quickly do anything related to Network security. The only time I need to go into the server room is when I must change the backup tapes.  

What lead me to this possible decision was the fact that I'm facing a necessary upgrade from NT4 Server running Exchange 5.5 to Windows 2K3 and Exchange 2K3.  Why also purchase Netware 6.5 when Windows 2K3 is just as reliable?  Reliability was historically the reason I chose Novell in the beginning but I can no longer justify the expense for that reason.  Ease of administration may still favor Novell but I cannot make that determination until I learn more about how much better AD is on W2K3.  I certainly wasn't impressed with Windows 2000 and AD!  

Answer : Migrating from Netware 5 to MS Windows 2K3

But you can try before you buy.

Go to Novell downloads and you can get a 90 day 100 userer eval.

Also ,they just released a Linux version of SBS.Linux is growing at a very rapid rate.

www.novell.com/smallbiz

There are also links to 3rd party add ons.

As for SPAM ,try these folks :

http://www.gwtools.com/

Groupwise is the number two for mail and a lot of folks use it.
Not many virus issues as compared to Exchange.

You can manage most everthing from C1 ,but the new tool is a browser based one called Imanager.
Everything is headed in that direction.

You could look at M$ 2003,but the biggest hassle is that you can only have one server in the tree.
So running Exchange,SQL,Faxserver,backup,AD,ISA on one machine is not a real good idea.

Scales to 75 users.About 2 to 3 times the cost of Novell.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us