Question : Reverse DNS for dynamic IP???

Hello:
My client is running SBS 2003 w/Exchange 2003.  We are using a satellite ISP which only provides us with a dynamic IP address.  We are using TZO as a dynamic DNS resolver/service.  This services provides us with a static NAME (xxx.tzo.com) which will always point to our server - through their dns resolution server.  However, because we do not have any reverse DNS specified, we are having incredible problems sending and receiving email.  We are not using a Smart Host as our ISP does not provide that service (their smtp server only uses GMail).  Is it possible to specify reverse DNS based upon our static name - xxx.tzo.com rather than an specific IP address?  Is there any way to make this work without contracting with a 3rd party Smart Host service?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Answer : Reverse DNS for dynamic IP???

To the mail host provider they don't have a clue how you are using their SMTP package. With 1&1, I sign up for their mail package then create myself an email [email protected] (e.g. [email protected]).

They then provide the SMTP settings, username and password which you put into the SMTP connector. The server simply connects to them on port 25, in the same way Outlook or Outlook Express or Thunderbird would to send the email.

So no, no need to ask them at all.

The only time you may run into issues is if you send thousands of messages per day, and the service you use is restricted. I don't believe 1&1 impose any restrictions, though.

-Matt
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us