Question : unexpected shutdown error with Windows 2000 server

hi!

based on the recommendation from this site... i replace my nt 4 database server with windows 2000 server. since my PDC is an NT4 server.. i made my new database server (which is windows 2k server) a stand alone server. i disable the browser service and windows time (because these two are always showing in the system event log error/warning) and from then on.. everything seems to be ok. however, from time to time we are experiencing unexpected shutdown from my database server. just to inform everybody. my database server is a Pentium 4 3Ghz 800 bus Intel motherboard with SCSI harddrive. Its a desktop IBM Compatible PC configured as a Server. Im running one application from this server and that is SQL 2000.

the unexpected shutdown will result to a blue screen with one error line message. (i didnt get the chance to take note of the message, but when it happen again i will post it ASAP) . what we are doing now is just restart the PC and then it will be ok. my guess is it could be a hardware problem. but when i check my device manager.... every thing is ok.

i hope you can help me on this.

arnel

Answer : unexpected shutdown error with Windows 2000 server

It should be fine to run without a virus scanner, but I always go with the better safe than sorry attitude. AVG puts out a very good freeware AVscanner. I would put it on there just in case. Of course if you cannot connect to the internet updates might be too much of a hassle for you to want to deal with it. However, you must consider that the server is not safe unless ALL pc's ABLE to connect to the server are not / have not / and will be connected to the internet. Reason being, if one client is infected the entire network (and more) is at risk of infection; this is regardless of wether the other pc's have ever made a connection to the outside world. Just my $.02.
Glad to hear about the server's current uptime, here is a question. Why not use Microsoft Shutdown utility and a scheduled task to reboot the server if you feel it is necessary?
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us