Question : Dell 3424 vs. 2724 Managed Switch

Hello Experts,

I'm preparing to buy a couple of managed switches and I'm not sure what will best serve our networks needs.
The Dell 3424 is stackable but doesn't have any integrated SFP ports whereas the Dell 2724 has 2 GE/SFP Combo Ports but is not stackable.  I'm told that the 2724 is, however, daisy chainable. Can anyone explain the difference between stackable and daisy chainable? Also the SFP - is that for fiber? If so that will come in handy when we start looking at backup/storage solutions.

Thanks, Alicia

Answer : Dell 3424 vs. 2724 Managed Switch

stackable usually means you can connect multiple switches together through some highspeed interface that doesnt take up any of the ports. Daisy Chainable means you just plug switches together (via crossover cables) to achieve the same result but using up ethernet ports and usually not as fast. All switches are daisy chainable.

The sfp port is a "small form factor pluggable" port for special fiber modules. Typically they run at 1000baseSX or LX.

I would suggest getting switches with high speed uplink ports (SFP or GBIC). If you need more than 24 ports buy a 48 port switch rather than bothering with stacking multiple switches. If you run out of ports later on you can aways daisy chain via the SFP or GBIC ports. My $0.02
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us