Question : SBS 2003 migration but with 2 PDCs

Experts,

I plan on performing an SBS 2003 migration from our current NT 4 domain but..... I have 2 PDC's (in 2 physical locations).  I have read MS's documents on performing a migration with 1 PDC (192.168.1.x) but the other PDC is in a differnet subnet (192.168.2.x).  

I am thinking I may need to physically take the new SBS 2003 server from one site, complete the migration (ADMT) and then take the server to the other site and perform the same thing? (at least the 2 locationsa are about 30 minutes from each other).

Is this the best method or could I someone demote one of the NT4 PDC's to a BDC and join the same 192.168.1.x network?

Or if I take the new SBS 2003 server to the second location (192.168.2.x) will I need to change the IP address of the SBS 2003 server?

Thanks

Answer : SBS 2003 migration but with 2 PDCs

T1 and terminal server??? ok this one is easy ...

Go ahead with 2003 SBS ... it's the best solution for your specific needs.

You can follow the migration process on microsoft for nt to 2003, but in all honesty, you'll end up with a much larger headache.  I'd do a scratch domain install.  since there are only 7/8 machines in each site, visiting the desktops would be easy.

build sbs 2003 and add all of the user accounts statically.  microsoft has some good information on their site about transferring profiles and such, but the easiest thing to do is just copy the pertinent data (my docs, ie favs, etc., etc.) to a new location (usually on a network drive) and then build a new domain profile from scratch.  Remember with 2003 and AD you now have the option to utilize GPO's to do AV deployment, folder redirection, etc., so new profiles might be the place to start.

once the new domain controller is online, dhcp and dns has been established (you'll need to do this during off hours, otherwise you're clients may have a prolbem connecting.)  Do not name your domain the same as your old one (netbios)... this will cause conflicts.  once the new domain controller is up and running, dhcp and dns have been verified to be working, user accounts have been created, email accounts, etc., start migrating the PC's to the new domain.  remove them from the old domain, add them to the new domain (you may have to put the dns ip in the properties statically in the beginning) ... and copy back the pertinent data saved previously.  normal applications and such should be fine.  you can also setup the mail client at this time to connect to exchange.  once that is complete, you can transfer over all of the data/apps from the old server to the new.

now, here's the best part ... you don't even need to touch the other site's computers with the exception of installing the Remote Desktop client if they aren't using XP; if they are I'd suggest copying the shortcut to the desktop and renaming it to identify their means to access the new server and their email.  Termservices will redirect printing allow for saving of email attachements locally.

login directly to the sbs server as those other users creating their profiles ... make sure you don't give them too much access ... heck you can even setup certificates to secure the initial connection ... install the necessary applications that they'll be using (make sure you use application mode) and continue as if you were migrating their pc ... setup email client for exchange, etc., and so forth.  now the other site will login to the network for network resources through the remote desktop client (it'll be faster too) and they can still surf the internet from their own location.  

if this doesn't work, i'd suggest purchasing two cisco pix 501e firewalls and establishing a point to point vpn tunnel and redirect internal network traffic down it.  i'd still stick with one domain server and sbs in your primary and no server in your secondary.  with a T1 and 15 users you shouldn't even begin to tap the bandwidth.

good luck.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us