Question : Symantec Ghost multicasting

I am looking for information about ghost multicasting (ghost 8.2). I have to ghost about 100 machines with 3 or 4 images. Any resources would be very helpful.

Answer : Symantec Ghost multicasting

I don't have any resources, but I have done this in the past and it worked great.

At the time, I needed to create a special dos boot disk and include the packet driver for my network card - I think nowadays with the current version of ghost, they have a little wizard that makes the disks for you - which should take the hassle out of it.

Anyhow back in the day, I booted each pc with this special boot disk, then on a machine that was already configured, I ran the ghost multicast server (this was a windows app)  - as each PC booted off the floppy, I saw it show up in the list on the server, and when they were all there, I choose which ghost file to send, and it sent them all at once.  

That was either ghost 6.5 or 7, I'm sure the improvements in 8.2 make it even easier now - I would look for a network boot option - you might not even need to fuss with the boot floppies any more.
- Jack
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us