Question : Domain Controller Problems

I just started a long-term assignment at a job, and I'm have several issues with their domain controller. This is a long question, split into 4 sub-questions that relate to this main topic. Good luck.

Background
----------
First, when I arrived, they had two -old- machines running Windows NT, serving as a primary and backup domain controllers. They also had a brand-new Dell server that was being used as an in-house web server and mail server. Everything was set up incorrectly or inefficiently, so I moved their mail and web services to a remote server, and consolidated the two ancient controllers into the new Dell.

Now at this point, we have:

1 Dell server, Windows 2000 Server, acting as
  Active Directory/domain controller.

1 General-purpose, no-name-brand server

3 Windows XP workstations

2 Windows 2000 Pro workstations

3 Windows 98 workstations

1 iMac workstation

All workstations and servers are on Ethernet, with all cables running to hubs, and one cable from the main hub to a DSL router, and a normal DSL cable from the router to the outside.

When we were on the old-2-computer domain controller setup, the domain everyone was on was called WINNT_DOMAIN. After consolidating into the Windows 2000 server, that old domain was eliminated (I think) and the new domain is called WIN2K_DOMAIN.

Problem #1
----------
Now, the first symptom/problem is evident in the Network Neighborhood/Network Places area. Even though I'm pretty sure I eliminated all traces of the old domain, the three Windows 98 workstations are all listed as being in the old domain WINNT_DOMAIN, and all the other machines are listed under the new domain WIN2K_DOMAIN.

What's interesting is that when logging into the network, ALL machines, including the Windows 98 machines, log on to the new domain WIN2K_DOMAIN. I've checked this dozens of times. There doesn't seem to be any traces of the old domain anywhere in the standard Windows 98 network settings - I haven't checked the registry on them yet, though.

Problem #2
----------
Several machines have mapped drives going to different computers and servers within the network, and all permissions seem to correspond correctly with the settings that have been specified in the Active Directory on the Dell server. However, it seems as though the connections to the Dell "time-out" or something. This is applicable to all machines, not just Windows 98.

Frequently, when trying to access a mapped drive, we get a message about a connection being unable to be established, or that such-and-such resource wasn't available, etc... The Dell server hasn't restarted or anything - it just doesn't always seem to be reachable to validate permissions. In order to re-access those network drives, the user needs to log off and log back on again, and in some cases, even restart the computer.

Problem #3
----------
Similar to the above problem, except it happens at login, and I've only seen it on Windows 98 machines so far. Sometimes, even though all the information is correct, it just will not validate/login and just rejects the attempt. It doesn't reject quickly enough to make it seem like it is a client-side issue, either. It seems like the Windows 98 client tried to access the controller, pass the information, and got rejected. A reboot will cure this.

Problem #4
----------
This is a login issue that seems to affect Windows XP workstations only. Once the correct username/password have been put in to login to the W2K_DOMAIN, it goes to a box that says something along the lines of "Getting Personal Settings" and then "Applying Your Settings..."

However, this procedure takes nearly 2 full minutes. It's not a CPU speed issue or a network bandwidth issue, either. I'm almost certain it is related to an error that comes up in the System Event Log. This error appears once for each time I restart/login:

Event Type:      Error
Event Source:      NETLOGON
Event Category:      None
Event ID:      5719
Date:            1/31/2003
Time:            8:25:57 AM
User:            N/A
Computer:      JONATHANDELL
Description:
No Domain Controller is available for domain WIN2K-DOMAIN due to the following:
There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request. .
Make sure that the computer is connected to the network and try again. If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 5e 00 00 c0               ^..À    

Conclusion
----------
Now, even though this is split into 4 questions, I believe that each question is directly related to a problem in the Dell server and how it is set up. It seems to function at least a small amount - enough to login/validate people sometimes, and enough to specify access permissions for files and folders, but it just doesn't function the way I want it to, and I'm at the end of my rope with ideas.

Help.

- Jonathan

Answer : Domain Controller Problems

Sorry it took so long to respond.  I missed the message that there was a comment added to the question.

1) No, you really should use the Dell as the DHCP server for your network.  This will allow for entries to be added to DNS faster, thereby making access to network resources cleaner and faster.

2) The router can continue to use the ISP's DNS servers.  It has no bearing on the network functionality.

3) Yes, but don't bother with entering it twice.  Just have itself as the primary and go with that.

4) Correct

5) Correct

6) Correct

7) It doesn't hurt to let them get WINS, just make sure all are using the Dell for DNS.

8) The router should be your gateway for all boxes, DHCP comes from the server and the server should deal out all DHCP as follows:

IP Address: from pool
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: Router
DNS: Dell
WINS: Dell (2k/XP machines will use DNS anyway)

Good luck, and again sorry for the delay!
Gunthar
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us