Question : (500 pts) how to configure a static IP for home web hosting (Cox.net)

I have purchased a static IP (68.14.229.94) from cox.net and would like to host my own “small” web server.

I am not sure where to assign the static IP though. I have a netgear wgr614 wireless router, and a cable modem. So the cable modem is connected via CAT5 to the netgear router.

When I ping the IP: 68.14.229.94….I get a reply back, so I am assuming the cable modem has the IP.

When I do a ping –a I get the following:

wsip-68-14-229-94.ph.ph.cox.net [68.14.229.94]

So I am not sure if I can go ahead and register the IP under the domain name I want.

Once I register, I am guessing the netgear can be configured for DHCP and get the correct IP from the cable modem? Then I just set up HTTP port forwarding to my web server?

Thanks in advance EXPERTS : )

Answer : (500 pts) how to configure a static IP for home web hosting (Cox.net)

What make modem do you have ? A true public IP usually has to be configured on your router on the WAN page of the router's configuration. You may have a modem that is a combined modem and router, in which case you want to put it in bridge mode to forward all traffic to the router, allowing to configure it for the static IP and port forwarding for you router.
Once the router is configured with the public IP the following link will be useful for configuring your port forwarding:
http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/WGR614v6/HTTP.htm

If you advise of modem make and model we can confirm.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us