Question : (URGENT) WIFI -NON  LINE OF SIGHT

I am putting a WIFI ISP in my city

As  the wifi devices work in  line of sight ..what does the line of sight means

As my city  is a valley
if i  give the  hight  of the transmiitng  tower  (with acess point and omni anteena) at 8000 ft . (on a hill) then all the recieving devices (acess point) in  valley  should be in the sight of the tower or i have to give the reciving  acess points the same height as the transmiting  acess point if so .....

Is there any economical  devices which works under non line of sight ....if so  can  any one  tell me details  of these  devices  and how  it works and will these devices work  in the my project

Answer : (URGENT) WIFI -NON  LINE OF SIGHT

WiFi is not necessarily line of sight. If you are talking about wireless access points, generally, if the receiver is within distance range of the signal, it is able to connect. Obstructions will reduce the usable distance range.

There are a lot of physics to the "line of sight" equation in higher end wireless connection gear such as the Cisco 1400 series and up, line of sight is actually the basic shape of a football, so if you set up Point A and imagine it as the the tip of the football, then point B is the other end. Its called a Fresnel Zone and you can read about it here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps5279/products_tech_note09186a0080508551.shtml

Your wireless network may require more than one wireless access point, depending on the size of the area you want to cover and how much you are able to spend on your infrastructure. You can start by looking at devices such as the Cisco 1300 Series Wireless Access Point/Bridge ( www.cisco.com) , or the Tropos 5210 wireless router ( www.tropos.com ) .

Regards,
Scott
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us