Question : You Do Not Have Permission.....Phantom Password....the Problem even Microsoft has not solved.

This is a problem that microsoft itself has been unable to solve.  Since it appears to have happened with an XP2 upgrade they have tried to help but after being pushed up  from the Indian help desk to support people in Redmond we have found no solution.

I have the same problem several others have had. My network has an XP Pro, (2)Win98, WinME, Mac (10.2.4) and the troublesome XP Home. The entire network works fine.  the XP Home can send and get from the others but none of the other computers can get access to the XP Home. the XP Home and 98 computer used to share just fine before I did an SP2 upgrade on the Home machine.  I have not done a SP2 upgrade on the XP Pro. Except for no computers being able to log into the XP Home machine, the network runs perfectly.
Many of the solutions in other posts  pertain to XP Pro, the problem is on my XP Home. I have tried everything that has been posted on other similar questions.
The only thing I have not tried that has been suggested is a clean install of SP Home. I have uninstalled and reinstalled SP2, no help.

Sometimes the response is access denied.  Other times it brings up the user name - password box. No known password works.  User name is 'guest' when this occurs.  I never set a password but when I set one to see if it would correct the problem the password I set would not work.  It works if I log in with the password on the XP Home machine itself but not from any of the other computers.

It seems to be a phantom password or permissions issue. Since it is XP Home permissions are limited.

Thanks for any help.

Answer : You Do Not Have Permission.....Phantom Password....the Problem even Microsoft has not solved.

PAQed with points refunded (500)

modulo
Community Support Moderator
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us