Question : Several DHCP Servers

I have a simple network, all on one subnet (192.168.64.?). The main router has two wireless routers connected to it.

Normally I'd leave the dhcp servers of the two wireless routers off, and the main router assigns addresses 100 to 150. Does it hurt anything to say, instead have all three routers with their DHCP servers turned on, and have them spread the range out? E.g. main router assigns from 50-100, wireless router 1 from 101-150, wireless router 2 from 151-200? If you turn DHCP on on the wireless router, does it block any DHCP packets from relaying through to the main router?

The reason I ask is because I want the wireless routers to gracefully not allow any more than about 10 clients to connect, and I can't do that when the IP's are handed out by the main router. I'd like the wireless routers to manage their own IP addresses for the wireless clients.

Answer : Several DHCP Servers

I agree that you CAN run mutliple DHCP servers on the same network as long as their scopes have no overlap (though the practice is generally not recommended), but I'm not certain what you want to do is going to work. I think once the 10 you want to allow have connected and the 11th connects the 'full' router is just going to relay the DHCP request on up the line and the request will be filled since it's from the same subnet.  But I won't mind being wrong on this... if it works the way you want, please let us know. :-)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us