Question : Help setting up an HP4M stand alone printer via cat5 + 3com router..

A co-worker of mine recently took home an HP4M printer. It has a LAN card and 2mb of ram. I'm helping him over the phone btw. He wants to make the printer work as a stand-alone printer for his home PC's, connecting through his 3com router. All of his home PC's have XP (2 machines total). He doesn't want to spend money on a buying one of those little print servers either; he just wants to make this HP4M printer work through his router as a stand alone entity.

The IP number has been set to 192.168.200.10, respective to his environment.

We also tried using HP's JetAdmin utility, it almost works, but at the very end of installing, he gets an "unexpectedly quit" error message everytime. So, screw the JetAdmin tool.

What are you suggestions for this scenerio and is it even possible to get the HP4m printer to work as a stand alone printer that his 2 other machines can access?
(I've personally never set this type of printer scheme up before)

thanks for any help!

***UPDATE*****

we figured it out...and it was annoyingly simple - all that had to be done was to create a LOCAL printer (not network printer!), set up a new port, choose TCP/IP as the port type, then put in the IP address what was set up in the printer.  Worked the first time, took about 45 seconds, and totally ignored all the JetAdmin stuff.

Answer : Help setting up an HP4M stand alone printer via cat5 + 3com router..

For future use and to install the HP Standard TCP/IP port use this link for a nifty little HP tool. Overkill on a single printer great on a LAN with HP printers and print servers

HP Install Network Printer Wizard

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=19656&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=27908
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us