Question : Problems Joining Domain after WinXP Pro Upgrade

I have a laptop that I use both with my home network and at my client's office.  I am running a peer-to-peer net at home, my client runs a W2K Server (domain environment).

When I started at my client's site, I was set up with a server login account, and was able to successfully log in to his network, utilize printers and network drives, etc.  My operating system was Win98SE.

I recently upgraded my laptop to WinXP Professional.  This upgrade was performed in my home office.  At the time of the upgrade, I was attached to my peer-to-peer network, and the upgrade went fine, and I was able to access all of the computers and network-attached printers on my home net.

Then I came into my client's office.  I plugged into his network, and I obtained an IP address from his DHCP server.  I was NOT asked for a password.  I can reach the Internet through his gateway.  What I can't do is join his network.

To attempt to join the network, I opened the System Properties box in Control Panel, clicked on the Computer Name tab, and started the  Network ID wizard.  I selected the option "This computer is part of a business network", and then selected "My company uses a network with a domain".  After passing through an info page, I entered my User Name, Password, and my client's Domain name into the 3 blanks.  The network tells me that "An account for this computer has been found in the domain.  Would you like to use this?" and I click "Yes".  I then get "Your computer could not be joined to the domain because the following error has occurred:  Access is denied."

I have Administrator access on both my laptop and on the server.  Everything I read points to a Permissions problem, but darned if I can figure out what it is.  I'm not that familiar with XP, so I don't know if there are more details on this error logged someplace.

500 points to the person that gets me connected to my client's networked printers.

Answer : Problems Joining Domain after WinXP Pro Upgrade

You are so close. I think that when you upgraded to xp you got a new QID? or SID what ever. So there is a dis-joined network account for that computer which needs to be deleted.

Make sure your compute is OFF the network!

Ask the Administrator to delete the DOMAIN computer account on the local server using Domain Manager or Active Directory Users and Computers depending on the server flavor.

Now with your laptop still OFF the network go ahead and give it a new name and join a new workgroup too.

Reboot.

Now connect the network cable and rejoin the domain. You will be prompted to give a user name and password that permision to join the domain. Get the Administrator to do this! (sometimes I have had to use the domain adminitrative account to join the domain as my account, although i had administrative rights, would give the error "confliciting priviliges" does this sound familiar?)

You should now be good to go boy!!!!

THEKID

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us