Question : Using pcAnywhere on Broadband.

I am having great trouble setting up pcAnywhere to communicate between home and the host PC at work.  I have followed the set up instructions exactly.  I know the IP addresses at both ends, plus the IP address normally used by the common  ISP (Wanadoo).  The remote uses a router, but I have also tried using a standard ADSL modem.  The host uses a standard ADSL modem. All firewalls, etc., have been disabled, and the correct ports are all open.  A pcAnywhere login has been created on the host. I keep getting "Unable to attach to specified device".  The remote uses Windows 2000 Pro, the host Windows 2003 server.  Symantec have only been able to advise checking the obvious, and have now gone silent.  I have read the responses on this site, but they don't take me any further.  I have used PAN frequently on analogue and ISDN, but never on Broadband.  I must admit to having difficulty understanding how it does work remotely, although I understand how it works over networks, and use it over networks.  However, there must be thousands of PC's all with the usual standard IP addreses.  Obviously I must be missing the obvious, and I hope so.  I just want it to work.
Advice would be greatly appreciated.
William.

Answer : Using pcAnywhere on Broadband.

OK, the problem is evident.
Addresses that start with 192.168 will not work outside of an internal network.
The address range of 192.168.x.x   is one of several that are called "private" or "reserved" addresses.
What you need to do is find out wht the PUBLIC address of the target is.
CB
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us