Question : FTP Server will not work on Port 21 but will work on any other port.

I am running Windows Server 2000 and have several virtual FTP servers running.  Any FTP site that is configured using port 21 does not work.  If I change the site to use any other port the site works.  This is not a firewall issue as the problem exists on the local machine as well as over the network or the internet.  

When I sign onto a site from the command line it says "connected to domainname.com" but it does not give a chance to put in user name or password.  After a minute or two it says "Connection closed by remote host."  The same thing happens if I use the IP address of the site.  Nothing appears in the log file for the FTP site so I don't really believe that a connection is being made.

We recently had a "security expert" change some settings on the computer so I don't know if he changed something on the computer to close the port.  I used a shareware port scanner and it said that port 21 was open on the machine.  Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.  I am pretty stumped at the moment.

Answer : FTP Server will not work on Port 21 but will work on any other port.

YOu might have to check the policies over remote connections and security on the local computer.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us