Question : Repeater does not give clients IP Addresses.

I have a Netgear router/access point with an SSID of MYLAN and an IP Address of 192.168.1.1. DHCP is enabled on this router and the scope is 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.110. This is located in Room A.  I want to use my laptop and PS3 in Room C.  The Access Point Signal is not strong enough to reach to Room C.  So I put an Encore Repeater in Room B, set it to Repeater Mode and input the same SSID that the Netgear router/access point uses - MYLAN.  The Repeater's IP Address is 192.168.1.2, and I have disabled DHCP on the repeater, assuming that since it is repeating it will re-transmit everything that it is getting from the Netgear router.  

Now when I go to Room C I have 100% signal, but I only can connect to the network if I put in an IP Address manually/static...  Everything works fine this way.  But this is a big inconvenience especially when I'm moving from home to work, to the bar etc.  I tried enabling DHCP on the repeater and putting it in a different scope to that of the router 192.168.1.200 - 192.168.1.210.  Even this way it does not seem to want to give my laptop an IP Address.  Am I doing something wrong?  Should the Repeater be in a different subnet entirely to my router?  IE Router: 192.168.1.1 ::::: Repeater 10.0.0.1??

Answer : Repeater does not give clients IP Addresses.

If the client is running vista, check for firmware updates on the netgear.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233
This issue can occur because of a difference in the design of vista. Specifically, in XP and previous versions of windows, the BROADCAST flag in DHCP discovery packets is set to 0 (disabled). In vista, the BROADCAST flag in DHCP discovery packets is enabled. Therefore, some routers and some non-Microsoft DHCP servers cannot properly process the DHCP discovery packets with the BROADCAST flag enabled.  That KB article goes on to describe how to hack vista so it disables the BROADCAST flag too, but the preferred solution is to get the router to process the flag correctly. Most routers still supported have had firmware updates released to address this problem.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us