Question : Switch- speed/ duplex and features

Need some advice:
1. regarding speed/ duplex between a switch and clients
Which setting will be better?
(a) switch and clients are both running auto-negotiation
(b) switch is set to 100/Full whereas clients are set to auto-negotiation or 100/ Full

I was told by my senior that setting (b) would be better (faster) because if 100/ Full is set on one party the other party merely accept that setting. If both use auto-negotiation, a longer time is needed for both parties to decide and agree on the best speed/ duplex to communicate. Is this true? If no, I need all the help in question no. 2.

2. What are the available features on Cisco Switch 2900 series XL that can maximize the throughput and maintenance of 10/100 LAN?
something... like client speed/ duplex detection? error detection feature?collision detection??

Basically, what I am looking for are best practices to be implemented in a LAN environment. Thanks for the help.

Answer : Switch- speed/ duplex and features

(c) both switch and client set manually to 100/Full

(a) is second choice

never (b) because: if you set the switch at 100/full and leave the client at auto, the negotiation bit gets turned off at the switch, so there is nothing to negotiate. In that case, the client will default to 10/half. Same issue if you set the NIC to 100/full and leave the switch at auto. Most will default to 10/half.

This is cisco-specific but explains all the details well:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/46.html
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us