Question : wireless networking - sharing a printer.

I have setup a wireless network at home and I want to share my printer with the network.  Can I do this?  If so how do I do this?  The router I have is a Netgear WGT624NA Wireless-G Enhanced 108Mbps Broadband Router.

Thanks for your help.

Answer : wireless networking - sharing a printer.

Share and Share Alike
After I installed my new printer on the computer, I wanted to use it from other computers. I even wanted to print from my laptop computer, sitting on the patio, connecting to the network with a wireless NIC. Before I could do that, I had to share the printer. Windows XP doesn't automatically share printers, which is a good thing when you don't want to share your toys.

To share the printer, I opened the Printers and Faxes folder on the computer that was connected to my printer.

To open the Printers and Faxes folder

• Click Start and then click Control Panel.

• Click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Printers and Faxes.

• In the Printers and Faxes folder, I clicked the printer's icon and, in the tasks pane, I clicked Share This Printer.

• I opened the printer's Properties dialog box, and clicked on the Sharing tab.

• I clicked Share Name, and then clicked OK.

That's it—the printer was immediately available for other computers to use.

Now that I had a network printer, I was ready to connect to it and print from other computers on the network.

To connect to the printer

• I opened Control Panel, and clicked Printers and Other Hardware.

• I clicked Add a Printer.

• Instead of adding a local printer, though, I clicked Printer Connection and then browsed the network for the printer.

The whole process took less than a minute before I was printing to the network printer as though it was connected to the computer.

From http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us