Question : why do routers need to be restarted

hi,

I am not a tech, but first in line to call the techs when the situation  arises... I need some general understanding of the problem with routers. Seems no matter what router we use, they need to be periodically restarted.
It just happened with our sonic wall... and always hapens with my netgear, and linksys too.

when i could not get on line, I called Cable vision . they told me right on the phone, that their modem  was on line, and that my sonic wall router  ( which they couldnot see, but new it was there PREVIOUSLY ) needed to be reset.
He then went on to tell me that their DCHP server which is giving the sonic was it's IP aqddress has probably fallen out of sync with the router
and that the router will look for a new ip addrerss periodically.
His recomendation was to go to a static IP address...this would stop the process of negotiating an Ip address, and perhaps halt the need to restart the router periodically.

I would love to know your thoughts and start a discussion

Abby A

Answer : why do routers need to be restarted

On the sonic wall you can reset the IP address renew time, so that if it their servers do drop the IP, it wil renew faster.  However, if your ISP will give you a static IP address, that is certainly preferable, and should cut down or eliminate the need to restart your router periodically.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us