Question : A new DNS Zone for a different subnet and IP Scheme

Hello:

I am beginning to get ready for deploying 2 new IP schme's on my corporate Network.  Currently we use a 192.168.1.X /24 IP scheme; however, we are running out of IP addresses and it has been decided to create 2 new VLan's.  Each VLan will hold specific devices.

1.  192.168.1.X /24 (For miscellaneous Devices ie electrical panels).
2.  10.220.21.X /24 (For Servers/Routers/Switches/Proxy's).
3.  10.220.22.X /24 (For Workstations).

I created a Question a short while ago regarding how I can create my DNS Servers to work for another IP scheme.  That is while having it still work with the original 192168.1.X /24 settings.  Please read http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Misc/Q_24524634.html

However, I am afraid I was not complete enough in my previous question.  My new question is... "How do I have the current DNS Servers run on 192.168.1.X /24 VLAN and have it recognize the new VLan IP addresses as well?  That is do I need to create 2 new Zones with Froward Lookup and Reverse Lookup information (zones)?  I know that static routes will need to be made to our main router; but, my question right now is specifically tied to making my DNS Servers work for the new VLan's.  Lets assume the Static routes are in place for the main router.

Will I only need to create new Zones and follow the DNS Configuration wizard to create the new Zones?  Is there anything else that I need to do for the new zones (VLna's) to have the DNS server recognize PC's and servers in the other new VLan's and their new IP Scheme?

This will be done on a Microsoft Windows 2003 Server Std. Edition.

Answer : A new DNS Zone for a different subnet and IP Scheme

You can have as many reverse lookup zones as you can eat^H^H^H manage. As I said, they're not even essential for AD, and just like forward lookup zones, you can have several of them.
If your DNS servers are DCs, then simply create the revers lookup zone on one of them, make sure it's set to "AD integrated"; after the next AD replication cycle, the new zone will appear on the other DC(s)/DNS(s) as well.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us