Question : what is going on with my cable set-up?

I live in a house that's subdivided into 4 apartments, and I'm trying to figure out the cable set-up right outside. Basically, I need to know what this little Regal thing which has 3 connectors on it, labelled IN, OUT & TAP does. The OUT is connected to an ARCOM cylindrical thing which then comes into the house somewhere above where I can see. The TAP is connected to this 4 inch cable which goes into a 3 way unbalanced splitter. The 2 7dB things have 2 more cylindrical things attached, and the 3.5 dB has some sort of little terminator on it - a short maybe? In a poor ascii drawing it looks like this :

Regal RDCT10-6
                                           -------------------
  Cable from street             |                      |   ------------                 to house
----------------------------------| IN          OUT |--| ARCOM |------------------->
                                           |                     |   ------------
                                           |        TAP        |
                                           --------------------
                                                       |
                                                       |
                                         ----------------------------
                                        | 3 -way splitter  thing |

And one final question... the cylindrical things, I imagine, are filters. Is this correct? Can I tell from looking at them what they filter? Thanks....

Answer : what is going on with my cable set-up?

Yes , you are right , that "cylindrical things" are filters .
I will try to make you understand how coaxial network works , but note , I am a network admin , not a technician .
As you know , TV analog signal goes through "downstream" - flows from TVprovider to TVstation and no back signals are needed . The Internet access through coaxial TV cable uses "back channel" , back going signal from cable modem to cable termination station . This is called "upstream" .
For upstream channel is very important to have good signal/noice rate to communicate with termination station .
For downstream channel is very important to not be as much powered as to broke the TV signal .
This is the purpose of filters and Regal RDCT10-6 , wich is as I know filter+repeater for upstream channel .
For more information I can ask my technicians tomorrow .

Rgrds .
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us